Thursday 13 May 2010

Rue-tine

My days have molded into a routine where I feel as though I can never get anything substantial organised. As things stand at this point I am attempting to prepare some sections for our new scaled back radio show. We are only on for the one day now, so I am trying to prepare stuff so that it is full to the brim, rather than having long downtime where we don't have all that much time to ensure that we will come up with something entertaining eventually.

Its a weird one because I don't necessarily want to keep on a lot of the old sections, some of them are quite flexible and still fresh, the C-Section for instance, which is malleable enough to go anywhere, and include anything. But there are a number of sections which I feel may have had their time. Footballer or Religious Figure is one of the founding sections, which is becoming increasingly tedious, both in researching and actually delivering. The problem with scrapping it is it also means God or Fabio drops off the radar, which is not ideal as God or Fabio is one of the most reliably energetic sections we have.

What we need to do is come up with some new sections that can house the energy of sections which have run their course, but with the routine I am stuck in, as I said earlier, there's no real time to invest in coming up with new things. Due to the compering gig I have tomorrow, it would be smart to prepare radio things today, leaving me free to concentrate on the gig tomorrow. I am planning on taking a Cannonby in this Saturday, since I have left it hanging for ages, and it really does need to be brought to a close. Preparing an episode of Cannonby usually takes until the early hours, and I feel like I will struggle to battle it out tonight, but leaving it for tomorrow will just ensure that it doesn't get done.

It is likely that the drabness of the routine feeds into this. I hardly do anything that is out of the ordinary for me, with the obvious exception of this compering gig tomorrow, which I hope will throw up an interesting story at least. The nerves for that gig have already set in, although I already feel that flagging that fact is redundant, as I am likely to type that every single time an unusual gig comes my way. Which, bearing in mind how few venues I have currently played, will be the vast majority of gigs that do come my way. It is currently in the 'I just want to do it' stage, which, again, is probably a hindrance in preparing stuff for the radio, because I half feel I should be preparing for that gig. Which I have already done. It is going to rock. I am going to tear the place up. Leave me alone.

We were having a new front door fitted this morning, which meant that my usual morning routine was disturbed, which probably hasn't help put me in a productive mood. I usually spend the morning exercising, which gives me plenty of alone time. Instead of this I opted to hide in the bath reading Dracula, while the dog was locked in the kitchen letting out a neverending barking stream which quickly became infuriating. In the book the Count is described as having a strong jaw and a moustache. Sometimes the tiniest bits of information can shake a worldview to its core. Dracula, with a moustache!? What sort of bizarro world are we living in?

This blog is metaphorically treading creative water, so I will bring it to an abrupt end here so that I can prepare for the radio properly.

Hope that's okay with you. It is? Cool.

Actually, as an afterthought, I have tried to be more observant lately as I have realised I am fairly ignorant, which, as someone who is attempting to be known as a creative writer isn't a fantastic way to be. What I have noticed today is that male children enjoy playing FPS games where the characters are chunky blocks of lego, and female children enjoy watching youtube videos that are very slow photo montage of gay emos (male) kissing. I wasn't heartened by this discovery, as it supports heteronormative assumptions, but I can take solace in that my research sample probably isn't representative. And that out of the 3 female children here 2 are playing the FPS lego shooting game, while only 1 is watching slideshows of snogging emos. That's right snogging. It was either that or macking. Both are useless.

I am no good at ensuring a representative sample, it was a good decision to escape academia, I don't have the patience needed.

@adamgilder
www.theacre.net
acrecomedy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did this make you feel? What did it emphasize?