Friday 9 December 2011

Winter Constellations

It is early December, so perhaps it is a little TOO early for this observation, but I have seen very few trimmings this year. Though I myself have no intentions of trimming my house, nor ever putting up a tree, I have enjoyed trimming up in work. I put up a Christmas tree with my friends from work, and had great enjoyment twisting a stiff length of faux branch up the railings of the stairs.

Still, no stars twinkle in windows as of yet. The closest I’ve come to being moved by shiny lights was in looking at the actual moon one night when it was full, and eventually managing to make out its curvature, seeing it as a ball rather than as a flat circle. That pleased me a lot.

Maybe it’s the recession. Timers are hard, money is scarce. Electric bills are high enough without plugging in some shinies to no palpable end. But is that really the case? In bust times comedy profits, as people give of what little they have for a smile. Would that not hold true for Christmas decorations? Tinsel, if already owned, runs on observation. Are people simply miserable? Or are people deserting Jesus?

It is my guess that we are a more godless nation than even it is estimated. Certainly we are a hearteningly secular place, though some seem not to fully appreciate what this entails. Our publicly-funded school system is still upsettingly entangled with religious ‘teaching’, and too many hold on to an unquestioned presumption of higher power. I don’t think as many people as I would like are turning away from the gods. I certainly don’t think that if they were turning away, it would correlate with a decline in trimmings or Christmas decorations, and this is why I believe that.

Christmas is not about Jesus. A celebration within deep winter predates the Cruijff by many a year, and though Christians have tried to paper over these previous incarnations of the solstice, we can still see through. In fact, the baby Jesus’ mug has been plastered there so long the façade has begun to peel horrendously, and we’re left with a collage of diy disasters, a patchwork of Jesus, Santa, trees, tinsel, Coke, tradition, rampant consumerism and human solidarity. Of these only human solidarity really interests me, though I think consumerism may be necessary, and I certainly have no better idea; trees and tinsel can be pleasing, mind you, and Santa is quite good fun.

Jesus I’ve got no time for, especially not in his super-privileged baby form, and Coke is too sugary. Tradition is overrated, though often fascinating to consider.

So, are we lacking a festive spirit this year? Are we failing our human solidarity? Or are we poor, plain and simple? Warmth comes before shiny colourful constellations trotting predictable waltzes around the window frame.

Perhaps we are in truly dire straits.

Perhaps its just a little early yet for decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did this make you feel? What did it emphasize?